September General Committee Minutes

Minutes of the General Committee of The Centurion Lacrosse Club held on 13th September 2016 at The Market Porter Public House, Stoney Street, London SE1.

Present: David Marsden (President), Ron Balls, Henry Collinge, Neil Forsyth, Denis Hanks, John Maynard, Peter Mundy, Steve Williams, Rob Collinge (Secretary).

APOLOGIES were received from Clive Beaumont, and Dave Slaughter.

  1. ROGER OKILL

    The meeting stood in silence to mark the passing of Roger Okill - a great Centurion and servant of lacrosse.

  2. MINUTES of the General Committee meeting held on 24th May 2016 were approved as a record of the statements made at the meeting.

  3. MATTERS ARISING

    The future of the southern lunches was discussed. There was strong support for continuing the lunches. It was agreed to follow the format of the northern lunches and have no speaker at the next lunch to allow members an opportunity for discussion. Steve Williams, Rob Collinge and Neil Forsyth will arrange the next lunch in early November. Mailings should target previous attendees to engage their continuing support for the event, as well as broadening the attendance to other members and potential members.

  4. SECRETARY’S REPORT

    1. Frank Tewson. Frank’s son John asked for donations in his memory to be made to either The Centurions through SELET or a local hospice. The club received £209.05.
    2. We have replied to the ELA request for information regarding The Centurion Award, The Stan Smith Award and generally on volunteer awards.
    3. Publicity was given to members by e mail and on Facebook of fund raising for the England U19 team.
    4. A successful evening was held at the House of Lords Dinner. Thanks are due to Dennis Hanks for organising the event.
    5. After months of delay a new contractor has marked out the Plymouth astro pitch giving the Plymouth club and the university side access to mud free play. Happily the work was completed at a cost less than had been raised by local clubs, indeed they had a small surplus was available to buy kit. Thanks have been received for our offer to fund any shortfall which allowed the work to go ahead.
    6. We have approached the ELA registering our interest in running a lunch or similar event at the 2018 World Championship, if facilities for this are available. No information on entertaining facilities is yet available. The secretary was asked to investigate the possibility of organising a lunch at next year’s ladies’ World Championships in Guildford. Ron Balls will supply contact details.
    7. Ian Ballentine is exploring entering a Centurions supported Masters side of Southern based players. He is ensuring that we co-ordinate our efforts with the England Masters team which is focusing on training based in the North. It is hoped to include players unable to attend regular northern sessions who wish to participate in Masters Lacrosse. The meeting requested that we explore the possibility of collaboration with SEMLA.
  5. TREASURER’S REPORT

    The Treasurer submitted a report on the current financial position. Assets now stood at £9,050. Expenditure to date was £8,699 and income £12,258. The House of Lords Dinner had yielded a surplus of approximately £1,000. The Market Porter lunches broke even. Around two thirds of subscriptions had been paid. A reminder will be sent to those in arrears. Both Buckhust Hill and Walcountian Blues had now paid for their entries to the Sixes.

  6. NORTHERN SUB COMMITTEE

    A lunch has been organised at Davyhulme Park Golf Club on 30th October. So far around 2 dozen members have signed up.

  7. DEVELOPMENT

    1. Oxford Brookes University.

      It was agreed to provide 6 helmets to the men’s side and 12 sticks to the ladies side. The club would work with Nik Roberts to ensure a proper system to safeguard the equipment and create a plan for on going kit renewal.

    2. St. Mary’s Twickenham.

      It was agreed to provide 12 ladies sticks to support their new in team in the BUCS league.

    3. Tournaments.

      Peter Mundy proposed organising tournaments around the country in which BUCS sides would participate. Reservations were expressed about the capacity of the club to undertake such a venture. A lengthy discussion took place. A clear business plan to support the case for such tournaments is needed if we are to consider proceeding.

  8. RECRUITMENT

    Commenting on the Strategic Review objectives agreed by the AGM Clive Beaumont suggested that our top priority should be to grow the membership. The feeling of the meeting was that the top priority was to develop the game of lacrosse and that sustaining and growing the membership was a key part of achieving this.

    Continuing to increase membership is vital to the club’s future success.